Norwalk, CT asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for New York

Q: Based on that definition and the expectations of a fiduciary, does the client have a conflict of interest?

The client in your office is 1 of the 3 children whose mother just passed away intestate, owning only 1 piece of real estate and a bank account. The client has been living with his mother in the property and claims that he should be allowed to purchase the property from the estate, but at a lesser value because he made numerous improvements to the property while living there. His two siblings disagree, want it sold on the open market with no reimbursement to your client for the improvements. None of the siblings are speaking to each other. Your client asks you to file a petition with the court to start estate proceedings and to name him as the potential personal representative.

1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I'm not sure if you are asking about New York. However, in New York, if the decent left no Will, the client can certainly petition to be appointed as Administrator. Personal representatives commonly have an interest in the estate assets that may conflict with other potential heirs. Those other heirs are free to oppose the petition. However, as an attorney, I would remind the client that his fiduciary obligation is to the estate. He will need to account for his actions and may face court scrutiny including the possibility of reversing anything he does in his own self-interest above the estate's interests and those of all distributees. He may also be on the hook for costs, attorneys' fees and penalties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.