Waldorf, MD asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland

Q: How can I get a tenant removed from my property who lease expired last year. She is my daughter.

My daughter has a kid that will be 18 next month. I have been renting a room to my daughter since 2017 for $500 a month because I wanted my granddaughter to have a stable life.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Annapolis, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Since there’s an agreement to pay rent, she would be considered a renter. Therefore you would need to give her 30 days written notice that you are ending her lease and expect her to vacate. If she refuses to leave after that time, you would need to file a Tenant holding over action.

Then you would go to court, and a judge would make a ruling. Provided the judge rules in your favor, you would file a warrant of restitution and if she still has not left, you can schedule the eviction with the sheriffs office.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.