Asked in Divorce for North Carolina

Q: Can you file for a legal separation in NC with the clerk of court?

My husband wants to file seperation papers legally. It's my understanding that separation papers are not filed on record but are signed by both parties and witnessed by a member of the court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: While it is a common misconception, there really isn't something called 'separation papers,' and you don't need any such papers to become legally separated. Some couples negotiate a contract between themselves that settles issues they may have (property division, spousal support, etc.), and this document is commonly referred to as a "Separation Agreement," but it is certainly not required to become legally separated. To become legally separated, simply move into different residences.

David Allan King agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.