Q: My car was stolen and my insurance company has done nothing to settle my claim since 4/16/21

My business has gone down hill because I DO NOT HAVE TRANSPORTATION. I paid for the highest package and never received one ounce of what their contract stated. This is fraud and I need an attorney asap. I am in San Diego but my insurance agent is in Beverly Hills.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Anapol
Neil Anapol
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Burbank, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I suspect there is more to the story, but basically you have probably have an insurance bad faith claim against the insurance company, not the agent. I would contact the adjuster and/or the adjuster's supervisor and find out why they have not settled your claim. Sometimes, the resolution of the claim depends upon you providing documentation and complying with a request for an examination under oath. If you have done everything you need to do, and the insurance company still will not pay, file a complaint with the California Department of Insurance.

If that still does not get their attention, consider filing a lawsuit. If the value of the car is under $10,000, you might want to file it yourself in small claims court. If the insurance company owes you more than that, retain an attorney and file in Superior Court.

Scott Richard Kaufman and Yelena Gurevich agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.