Portland, OR asked in Employment Law and Immigration Law for Washington

Q: How can I stay in the US? I recently had my i485 denied but I don't know why yet.

I am married to a US citizen and have been for over 3yrs, I have been in the US since Aug 2018. I have been working and providing for my family since October 2020 which means my wife and stepdaughter now rely on my presence and income in our family. I haven't received my rejection notice yet but it says on my online account that I've been denied permission to adjust status to permanent resident.

I know I can apply for naturalization because I'm married to a US citizen and have been here for more than 3yrs. But when finding my eligibility on the uscis website, it says I MIGHT not be eligible..

Since my i485 has been denied, it revokes any employment authorization, my ability to get it or renew it, I'm just not sure what my options are at all. I moved here to be with my wife, I didn't marry her to get citizenship. I married her so I could stay with her and not have to be apart from her anymore. Thanks for any help. Sam.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: Hello,

You really need to see what the rejection notice says. You then need to gather all the evidence of your marriage and make an appointment to see a an immigration lawyer. There could be a very specific reason for the rejection that you say is coming or it could be something general. Remember too that the website speaks in general terms not about your case in particular. Finally, you cannot apply for naturalization until you have been a resident for the required time. Check out the lawyer director on this site and make an appointment with a lawyer ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.