Delray Beach, FL asked in Contracts for Florida

Q: I want to buy a leased car at the termination of the lease.

The lease documents say the residual value is $11,986. The dealership is saying it would cost me $15,454. Can they charge more than the residual value?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: They can charge only according to the contract terms, nothing more. Also, this is not a matter of what's on the law books, but rather what's in the contract. So ask them to point out the term(s) on which they are basing the additional charge. If they point out such term(s), but you are not sure if they are correct, schedule a consultation with an attorney handling contract or consumer issues.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: 1. The lease contract lists and explains all the "lease-end" charges that the dealership can add to the residual price which is also listed clearly on the contract.

2. Based on my own personal experience buying cars after the lease ended, IMO the $3,468 difference in this situation is too much. This tells me the dealership is probably trying to take advantage of the recent increase in used car prices.

I have seen this same situation before, and have helped some clients stop this from happening.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.