Q: What can I do about harassment from an international person that is threatening to release sensitive information?

They live in Tennessee, I am a resident of Ontario. Over multiple social media platforms they have threatened me by releasing sensitive information, consisting of non-explicit videos of myself posted without my consent. I dated this person, which is why they have these videos.

I have blocked off all communication, but they will not stop. I have reported them on every social media platform in question, and have reported their actions as violating their TOS.

I have their name and address. I am unsure what to do with them.

Please help.

1 Lawyer Answer
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Pensacola, FL

A: Your question is quite interesting, but the only international aspect of it is the possibility of a crime across national borders.

If you analyze it this way, the injury occurred in Canada, so it should be reported to law enforce straightaway, be it the local police, the provincial police or the RCMP.

The commenced in Tennessee; accordingly, the state/county/municipality should be interested in pursuing it. I would also report this to the folks in Tennessee.

I am not a Tennessee lawyer, so the advice I give is general. I would contact the city police where the antagonizers are if you know where it is. I would also contact the office of the sheriff for that county. And, Finally, I would contact th4 state police in Tennessee, the headquarters of which will be in Nashville, the state capitol (by whatever name they called) as well.

Having a lawyer in Ontario is not a bad idea.

Good Luck


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.