Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Libel & Slander Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for South Carolina on
Q: I'm in spartanburg county need attorney advise for slander on false police report
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis answered on Jul 10, 2020

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

Slander is a civil matter in which someone defames you by verbal statement to others, knowing that the information that they have provided about you is wrong, with the intent to cause you harm.

A false police report is a...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for California on
Q: Slander harassment against sibling

DVRO expired last week against my TWIN sister, but thought a year off would quell hatred/slanderous behavior so allowed lapse. As soon as expired, she began phoning and emailing my current employer (new job) with statements of "employee has history or suing former employers to extort money... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jul 8, 2020

Attorney on hourly basis, not contingent fee. Recovery too speculative, unless sibling has net worth over $10,000,000.00. Insufficient facts to give other opinions.

Justia disclaimers below, incorporated herein.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination and Libel & Slander for Michigan on
Q: i am FTM transgender. Is there something i can do about my general manager discriminating against me to co workers?

i am 25, and FTM transgender. I lost my job beginning of March due to the sudden outbreaks of the virus, i was talking with a former co worker about possibly getting my job back, he said he would ask the manager, i was then informed my General Manager is being discriminating & slanderous... Read more »

Jeff Herron
Jeff Herron answered on Jul 8, 2020

In late June, 2020, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed a decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit (which covers Michigan), holding generally that discrimination (and by extension harassment) against transgender individuals because of their status or gender nonconformity is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for Kentucky on
Q: Cease and desist legality?

I was recently threatened with a cease and desist from a very wealthy family of a previous friend. I am a college student and this friend hid her pregnancy from her family and has documented psychiatric issues. she was heavily drinking and i sent screenshots of texts between the two of us to her... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jul 5, 2020

Not unless it is issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Libel & Slander for Virginia on
Q: My parents are going through a divorce and my mom is making false financial abuse claims against my father.


Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger answered on Jun 30, 2020

You have no responsibility to do anything. While your parents divorce certainly impacts you, you do not have any legal responsibility to do anything or be involved. If you WANT to be involved that's a different story and you could be involved as much or as little as you feel comfortable with,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Libel & Slander for Utah on
Q: Someone has committed criminal defamation against me, what do I do? Should i report it to the police?

In a report made to the police in another matter my neighbor told them I am schizophrenic and that is totally %100 flase, she has also spread this falsehood around the neighborhood to other people.

I can file criminal charges right?

76-9-404.  Criminal defamation. 

(1)A... Read more »

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jun 30, 2020

Defamation is a civil matter. The police are not going to take a report. What you are referring to is filing a false police report. Unless your mental capacity was relevant to the police matter, it is unlikely criminal charges would be sustained for falsely telling police you are schizophrenic. The... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Employment Discrimination and Libel & Slander for Arizona on
Q: year100% loyal every payday,week late.job searching he found out got workchatsaved times on phone.checkshold

every employee on job group chAt. when to come in, every where my checks from every employee there , numerous numerous times.every im losing my place,bills ,food texts from over 20 employee..i lost my apartment,and everything else after also texts for help .. personal damages are in play.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 29, 2020

I'm sorry your post remains open for four weeks. There are a number of categories here and it isn't clear if things in the various categories are related to one another. The most central one appears to be employment-related. At this point, you could contact an employment attorney to see... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Divorce, Libel & Slander and Small Claims for Texas on
Q: If a married couple are both on a car title is it legal for one of them to use that title for another loan without

Approval or without telling the other person

Kelly Case
Kelly Case answered on Jun 25, 2020

While it is not the best practice for a loan company to grant a loan with only one of the married couple's signature on the documents, there is nothing illegal about it. Unless a divorce was currently pending and the County in which it was filed had instituted Standing Orders preventing the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Washington DC on
Q: An anonymous account is posting defamatory rumors about me to 1500 followers They are mentioning me by name
Steven Krieger
Steven Krieger answered on Jun 25, 2020

You'd have to file a complaint in court and then issue a subpoena to the platform provider to release info about the account-holder. I'm sure anyone who responds would be happy to help if you decide to hire an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: Can I sue for defimation of character? Sheriff went on national TV and knowingly said the following below...

The sheriff went on TV (nation wide) and told the pubic I "had plans to commit a mass shooting" (proven flase by the court).

That I "Owned a 22 rifle and over 300 rounds of ammunition" (was proven false by the court).

That I "am psychotic" (multiple... Read more »

Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron answered on Jun 22, 2020

Yes, if the Sheriff knowingly or recklessly made the defamatory statements. However, it sounds like you are planning to take a "pretrial intervention" deal (or have already taken the deal). While that results in the State dropping the charges, and enables you to thereafter petition for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Libel & Slander for Idaho on
Q: I am asking for direction with a lawsuit that involves my ex employer.

Hi, my name is Lisa. I am looking for some direction on discrimination and harassment, defamation of character. My last employer is showing my employee file to other people and I also have a doctors letter in it. Is this a HIPPA violation. I have record of all the harassment when I was... Read more »

Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers answered on Jun 21, 2020

Employment law, even in a “right to work” state like Idaho states that an employer can create a “hostile work environment” by many different ways, including this one. Idaho also has a statute that holds employers liable for violating your right to privacy by disclosing confidential records... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: A guy hit my car, we chose to settle private..PLEASE READ (Evidence)

A guy hit The side of my car this morning we pulled over and he asked me cash or insurance I told him we can settle it private. we exchanged information and I took video of the whole thing including him saying his name and exactly how he hit me on video. If he chooses not to respond how do I go... Read more »

David Tapalian
David Tapalian answered on Jun 17, 2020

It’s always best practices to contact the police. Especially if this accident was not your fault, it’s always best to go through the other person’s auto insurance. I’ve seen time and again how handling it “private” backfires. If you are concerned you should file a police report.

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Washington on
Q: A friend who is 17 of my daughters was driving her car and began excessively speeding real fast and there were 5 people

In the car and they all were pleading with him to slow down over and over but he refused to listen and he flipped the car and my daughter almost died and her friend was also hurt is it his responsibility to pay for damages?

Robert C. Hahn III
Robert C. Hahn III answered on Jun 16, 2020

I'm a Washington lawyer not an Oregon lawyer. The laws are likely different between the states. But you should go consult with a personal injury attorney in the state the accident took place as soon as you can, even if it is just over the phone. Your situation will likely have multiple... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Family Law for Ohio on
Q: I am looking to consult with a local attorney in regards to a physical/sexual attack to my mom in a rehab ctr.

Another resident committed the attack, however, the facility didn't respond and react appropriately. I have removed my mother and setting up home health care/rehabilitation. She had complete shoulder replacement and had to fight this resident off of her. She has now had a set-back in her... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 15, 2020

An Ohio attorney could best advise, but your post remains open for two weeks. I'm very sorry for your mother's and your family's ordeal here. Reach out to Ohio attorneys; they won't contact you - this is only a Q & A board. You'll have to contact them. You can search... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Libel & Slander for California on
Q: Need to file a defamation case against a business owner

We had a dispute with her (business owner - runs a cake service from home - not sure if its registered) about services rendered and pay. We reached out to her several times asking for a resolution but she kept abusing us and threatened to complaint at our workplace. When we told her she legally... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jun 15, 2020

You have a multitude of problems and a defamation claim will not solve all of them. Re: the defamation- you have to prove the falsity of whatever facts were said about you, if it is an opinion, you don't have a case; you must also prove up that you incurred damages as a direct result of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Libel & Slander and White Collar Crime for California on
Q: Can a web developer knowingly/unknowingly put redirects to spam sites on a client's website without client consent?

I hired a web developer for my company's website. For the past 2 years he was the only one with access to the editing tools and the domain, until recently where we discovered accessing the site through a mobile device would redirect you to spam sites, sometimes pornographic, and we asked him... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jun 13, 2020

It isn't clear from your question or the sites you posted this question to, exactly what it is that you want. First, you need a new developer to clean your site and correct these problems, close all backdoors and shut out the old developer. Is this criminal? Probably not, but I am not a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for California on
Q: Good Morning, I have a letter that an individual dropped of at my work stating false facts & defamation.

Stating the employees at my store endangering his home, Calling me a racist , saying he is going to sue the store and employees because they are friends with "Drug Gangs" (I have no idea what he is talking about). and a lot more.

he also claims to be a Ordained Priest of the... Read more »

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II answered on Jun 13, 2020

A learned attorney and former Judge in Texas said; "You can sue a Ham sandwich." Do you have a lawsuit is a pretty broad question. Typical Attorney answer: it depends.

It depends on what you can prove this person said/ wrote.

It depends of you can prove this was said,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Washington on
Q: hurt on job in Alaska,had shoulder surgery on right shoulder,still hurt workers comp.quit paying and says not resp.

company says not responsible for any futher medical bills because I had pre-existing injury in 1991and had 6/7 cervical fused and hadn't had any problem until loader slid on the ice and flew off the road through the air.needing advice because i'm permantly dis-abled now.can pick up 5 lbs... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jun 11, 2020

I'm sorry for your ordeal. This is something a workers' comp attorney should advise on, not a personal injury attorney. You could try reposting under workers' comp; if you do not receive a response, you could reach out to WC attorneys listed here or ones you find independently on... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Sexual Harassment and Libel & Slander for California on
Q: Allegation of Sexual Assault when accused was a minor and alleged victim was 18. Is the allegation still valid?


Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jun 5, 2020

more info needed.

don't discuss sensitive info like this on a public forum.

make an appt with a criminal lawyer in your area to check the court computer to learn of any filing....and status with DA..........though you may not want to wake a sleeping dog.

anyone can sue...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for Florida on
Q: My daughters accused of being a racist.

My daughter is being accused of a racist by several kids and they have emailed her attended college that she has been accepted to stating that she should not be allowed to go there and now her admissions is under review. should I file a slander lawsuit? I’m not sure what to do at this point, I... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 4, 2020

You cannot file a slander suit;; only your daughter can sue--against the "kids" responsible--not the university. And while I am sure there are lawyers in Florida would be very happy to take your daughter's money and try to do something that is nearly impossible to do: Prove all the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.