Sexual Harassment Questions & Answers

Q: I need a lawyer to represent me for unemployment,and sexual harassment and workplace violence.

3 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for New York on
Answered on Nov 15, 2017

You need to call some employment lawyers. Initial phone consultations are often no charge. We need specific facts from you. Was the harassment illegal? (i.e. based on race, religion, sex, etc...)

Employers can not decide whether any employee receives unemployment benefits. Only the Department of Labor makes that call. Request a hearing before an ALJ timely and state the reason your employer used to fire you. Not the reason you think they fired you for.

Getting unemployment is...
View Details »

Q: Are a sexual abuser's mental health records subject to discovery in New York?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Sexual Harassment for New York on
Answered on Nov 13, 2017

1) Notice the abuser's deposition duces tecum.

Direct them to bring any and all of their mental health records to the deposition (assuming they have such records which they may not have). Ask the abuser to "identify every physician, psychiatrist, or mental health facility the abuser has ever treated at" and then subpoena those records.

2) You could also notice the deposition of the mental health expert who treated the abuser, duces tecum.

Have them bring all of the...
View Details »

Q: An ex-boss touched me in the chest twice in 1997 (I'm female, he is male); is there anything I can do?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Sexual Harassment for Oregon on
Answered on Nov 13, 2017

Your statute of limitations has almost certainly expired, unless the defendant left the jurisdiction or you have been mentally incapacitated for a lengthy period of time. Also, the fact that you never expressed these facts to anyone for 20 years will almost certainly be held against you in regards to the veracity of the claim. Confirm with Oregon counsel, if that is the state where this happened.
View Details »

Q: My daughter is 17 and I just found out that she has been sexually active with a 28 yr old man. Is this legal

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment and Criminal Law for New Jersey on
Answered on Nov 12, 2017

The Age of Consent in NJ is 16, which means she can have sexual relation with any individual. However, if this 28 year old man has a supervisory position of power over the teen, then it is a crime.
View Details »

Q: Is it legal for an employer to claim that sexual harassment allegations have been filed but decline to provide them.

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment for Colorado on
Answered on Nov 10, 2017

Under Dept. of Education regulations, all schools that receive a sexual harassment/assault claim, must investigate the allegation. Each institution has its own procedures related to who conducts the investigation and how it is conducted (read your employee manual for details). During the investigation phase the institution/investigator cannot and should not convey any details of the investigation until the review is completed and/or made public. In other words, you will not receive any...
View Details »

Q: A stranger was taunting my dog by running up to it. Is this harassment? What if my dog bit him after he instigated it?

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Sexual Harassment and Personal Injury for California on
Answered on Nov 6, 2017

She couldn't let it go but if they got too close and the dog bit them she would have a defense. Certainly they have been harassing and engaged in disorderly conduct.
View Details »

Q: can i sue for back wages i ,was hired as a personal assistant, and live in roomate ,

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Libel & Slander, Sexual Harassment and Civil Rights for California on
Answered on Nov 6, 2017

You should consult with an experienced employment law attorney or law firm so you can determine your rights and how to protect them. Most such attorneys offer free consultations, and I know there are many good employment law attorneys in the Sacramento area.
View Details »

Q: Does an employer have to keep the results of a workplace sexual harassment investigation confidential,even after death?

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for California on
Answered on Nov 5, 2017

Outcome of investigation has been well known to many yet the rules of the game suggest to keep it confidential. Capping of specific details would, in fact, minimize its libelous/damaging effects on the family and other members of the teacher at large.
View Details »

Q: I am 17 but i was 16 at the time i got raped by a 20 year old man who was my boyfriend

2 Answers | Asked in Sexual Harassment, Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Rhode Island on
Answered on Nov 5, 2017

Your narrative is attracting criminal offence of high degree i.e. rape. A sexual act without your consent and permission did occur by an adult with a child.

As you do not want to involve your parents right now, you are advised to consult Attorney through your school discretely to assist you in registration of case and trial.
View Details »

Q: I was doing a Photo shoot in June of 2017, and this guy the photogather did these sexual acts and I never agree doing it

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment for California on
Answered on Nov 2, 2017

Maybe. How old are you? The photographs may show some type of consent, which could make the case very difficult. It's impossible to say without a detailed discussion of what happened, and and examination of the photographer's release that you signed.
View Details »

Q: Could I get sued for writing a blog post about sexual harassment I experienced at work if I name the person who harassed

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment for New York on
Answered on Nov 2, 2017

Truth is a defense to defamation or slander but why would you post something like that?

Most good employment lawyers google their potential clients to see what they have posted on line. No one should post anything negative on line ever. If they do so that simply reflects on their character and the chances of getting a decent job after doing so are pretty slim.

Also, most employees do not want to have their name associated with litigation. But nowadays, there is almost nothing...
View Details »

Q: If someone commits sexual assault when they were 17 can they still be held accountable if it’s reported after theyre 18

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for New Jersey on
Answered on Nov 1, 2017

Yes not matter what age you are responsible for your actions, the only difference age can make is whether your charged in juvenile court or criminal court.
View Details »

Q: Can I put a restraining order on a 21 year old man trying to pursue my 16 year old daughter

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment and Criminal Law for California on
Answered on Oct 31, 2017

Yes. You can also contact the police.
View Details »

Q: I was unconsentually kissed and touched multiple times. Is it an assault, battery, or simple battery charge?

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Sexual Harassment for Ohio on
Answered on Oct 30, 2017

Have you called the police? You many want to do that. Potential charges: (1) assault, (2) unlawful restraint, (3) kidnapping, (4) menacing, (5) aggravated menacing, (6) sexual imposition.
View Details »

Q: Can a teacher engage in a relationship with a student after they have graduated?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Juvenile Law, Sexual Harassment and Small Claims for Michigan on
Answered on Oct 30, 2017

The answer to your question is subject to much debate. From the teacher's perspective, assuming that the student is then over the age of 18, he or she may find that being involved with a former student has career implications if not legal problems.

It is true that under Michigan law, a teacher could be charged with an aggravated CSC (1st or 3rd) under the teacher - student provision even if the student has since graduated. The rationale touches on consent. The real problem is that the...
View Details »

Q: Posting about a man who sexually abused her is considered as cyberbullying?

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment and Criminal Law on
Answered on Oct 22, 2017

This has already raised cautions for others ... What is your question? How would you like to proceed further individually or both of you against that offender
View Details »

Q: I did some temping a few months ago and feel I was harassed - can I sue even if I was a temp?

1 Answer | Asked in Sexual Harassment for Florida on
Answered on Oct 20, 2017
View Details »

Q: I have been sexually harassed by a man who is in another country.(croatia) (for a year) He threatens me with killing me

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Sexual Harassment for New York on
Answered on Oct 18, 2017

The police will make a report, and you may be able to get an order or protection. Unfortunately, if the man lives in Croatia, the order won't have any effect on him unless he steps foot inside the jurisdiction. You could have a civil case, and try to force him to appear here.
View Details »

Q: I was contacted on Facebook by a plasma donation center employee to try to date me using person info provided

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Personal Injury and Sexual Harassment for Oregon on
Answered on Oct 16, 2017

You need to get help to change your Facebook Settings to make sure that your personal information is not visible to people you don't know. I am not an expert on privacy laws so whether or not you have a lawsuit I can't tell you. Generally speaking you need to prove economic damages to have a lawsuit and I don't see how this has damaged you economically. Maybe there can be damages otherwise, I don't know. But it would seem that this employee violated a fiduciary duty by contacting you for...
View Details »

Q: Do I have a case if I was sexually harassed at work and being told I had to go to work with the man responsible?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for Indiana on
Answered on Oct 16, 2017

What was the outcome of internal investigation? Did they collect respective evidence and meet with witness(s)? Please elaborate more details w/r to : when complaint lodged? When investigation started? How much time was spent to prepare report?

Did report suggest to join work with offender? Consult with Attorney of local jurisdiction and/or share report by email to me for specific advice.
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.