Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
International Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Texas on
Q: What does need to identify mean in Pre release from TDCJ?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 22, 2020

You could repost your question under Criminal Law - Texas. This doesn't look like an international law matter, which might be why it remained open for three weeks. It looks like it's something that involves the Pre-Release Substance Abuse Program (PRSAP) with the Texas Department of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: My fiance's family moved to the US when he was 1 y.o. Is there any possibility that he can get the citizenship?

Hello. I have recently heard about your free legal services. My fiancé and I are in the process of moving to a small town in my country. We are just at the beginning, so your advice would be very important to us. Namely, my fiance's family migrated to the US (from North America), when he was... Read more »

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on Nov 13, 2020

Yes. Contact an attorney in your area to discuss possibilities. Good luck, and congratulations on the engagement.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Tax Law, International Law and Internet Law for Texas on
Q: Hey plzz reply ASAP dear...I too live in the can you get paid from youtube even after having F1 visa?

So if I upload a video from US but link it with my homecountry bank...which means I can't get the money in USA but only get money in my home country bank that legal and fine? And what if I know someone who is working in USA and invested and have E2 visa(not green card), can I... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Nov 6, 2020

No! You are living and working in the U. S. in violation of your F-1 student status. There can be remedies to this mistake, but you need an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney, who can take the time to provide legal advice.

The above is general information,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Intellectual Property, International Law and Internet Law on
Q: Can I sue a rating app for defamation?

I own a cosmetic brand in the usa and there's a popular app that evaluates safety of cosmetic products. It rated my products badly and stated they're not safe to use because they contain certain ingredients. These ingredients are researched to be toxic in certain concentrations, which is... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 5, 2020

There's a category here for Libel and Slander (see the linked text "Show More Practice Areas"). There's no guarantee all posts are picked up, but if you added that category, there might be better chances for a response. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and International Law for New York on
Q: Can I be in trouble sending money to friend in Romania from US?

I met a man in romania in april 2019. we have met 3 times since in romania. He has little and I sometimes send him money. Recently a online transfer company small world stoped my transfer and said compliance stopped it. they wont tell me why. They did call and ask how i knew him and if we had... Read more »

Peter Wade Kolp
Peter Wade Kolp answered on Oct 29, 2020

Compliance may suspect some top of fraud.

Mail fraud and wire fraud are federal crimes in the United States that involve mailing or electronically transmitting something associated with fraud. Jurisdiction is claimed by the federal government if the illegal activity crosses interstate or...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and International Law for California on
Q: looking for a lawyer specialized in contracts for China to help me prepare a comprehensive NDA for a supplier in China
Shawn R. Jackson Esq.
Shawn R. Jackson Esq. answered on Oct 28, 2020

Well, as you might imagine, there are a number of legal and business issues in dealing with suppliers or customers in another country ... and China poses a few unique issues. So, the first step is to schedule a free initial video call or telephone call with at least two attorneys of your choice to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Intellectual Property, International Law and Trademark for Florida on
Q: Is an international registered trademark in the USA enough to stop a trademark infringement outside the USA?

The trademark is filled in the USA as an international trademark. I want to know if that is enough to stop someone using words from my trademark on their website outside the USA.

My trademark is made up with 3 words and a symbol, I have a disclaimer for the 3 words. However I have noticed... Read more »

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Oct 26, 2020

You need to visit with a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property. I don't know where you are in the state, but if you call The Florida Bar in Tallahassee they can point you in the correct direction.

Good Luck


View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Gov & Administrative Law and International Law on
Q: Can I use a valid regular B1/B2 on an old expired DIPLOMATIC passport with a new valid REGULAR passport?

I have seen mixed answers to questions that relate to valid visa on expired passports, such as must be the same type and other in person answers say that as long as it is a non-diplomatic visa, it should be fine. I can not get my diplomatic passport renewed and must now use a regular passport. Is... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Oct 20, 2020

If you have a valid B1/B2 visa in an expired passport, and you have a valid, unexpired passport, the fact that the visa is in a diplomatic passport in and of itself should have no bearing on your ability to enter the US. The nature of the visa does not change depending on the type of passport.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Gov & Administrative Law and International Law on
Q: Can I use a valid B1/B2 "R" on an old (expired) diplomatic passport along with a new (valid) regular passport?

I have been given different answers and would a more stable answer surround my question. The visa I hold is valid and is "R" in terms of priority/visa class issued on my now expired diplomatic passport. I did ask a CBP officer once regarding this when it was still valid and she said that... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Oct 16, 2020

That is correct. If the visa is valid but in an expired passport, you will need a valid passport, but you can still use it to enter the US.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, International Law and Tax Law for New York on
Q: I am an international PhD student in the States. I want to simultaneously obtain a PhD in my home country.

My presence in my home country is not needed, I can work with my advisor remotely. My US advisor knows my home country advisor; they work on very close problems, they are both okay with this scenario. Can I legally do it, from the point of view of the US laws? I receive a scholarship in the States... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 16, 2020

If a visa of any type is involved, you may want to additionally repost in the Immigration Law section - it's possible the insight of an immigration attorney could be valuable, and possibly more relevant than the other categories, depending on circumstances. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and International Law for Texas on
Q: If I am married in another country legally, is it required for me to get it validated again in Texas?

Married in India legally and have the government-issued certificate of marriage. Is it required to get registered, married or validated again in USA and more specifically texas?

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Oct 15, 2020


The states of the U. S. recognize a duly done marriage from wherever if it is done within the laws of that place. If you have a marriage certificate you're fine

good Luck


1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and International Law for Puerto Rico on
Q: Hi, if I refuse my inheritance in PRand give it to my sister, am I totally free of any debts, liens or any financial i
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte answered on Oct 15, 2020

Hello and thank you for using Justia. Under the New Civil code that takes effect this Noviember, Inheritors do not respond for the debts of the Estate beyond the value of thier share in the Estate.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly.

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Estate Planning, Banking and International Law for New Jersey on
Q: If Im poa on my Dad's account, that can't be affected by my bankruptcy? Also can I open a new account with us both on?

My father is moving to a new country next week and I am newly appointed durable power of attorney over his financial accounts.... If I file bankruptcy that shouldn't effect his banks accounts correct? Also I was thinking of opening a new checking account with my father and myself as joint... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Oct 10, 2020

Do not open any bank accounts until after your bankruptcy is discharged. Do not look for problems. You also need to be represented by an experienced Bankruptcy attorney. What you do not know can cause you all sorts of problems. You really need to leave things alone. Even with the Pandemic, if you... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in International Law for Louisiana on
Q: How do u prove stalking?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Oct 8, 2020

Only a Louisiana attorney could advise here, but your post remains open for four weeks. The reason is probably that this was overlooked in the International Law category. There's no guarantee that every question is picked up, but you could try reposting in the Criminal Law category for better... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and International Law for New York on
Q: Does a child need written permission if flying out of country with only one parent? Parents are married, live together.
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Oct 7, 2020

The first thing the child needs is a passport! That's to get back in, if nothing else!

It wouldn't hurt to have an affidavit of permission to travel. I don't see it as a complicated instrument, but there may be a twist of family law in New York of which I am unaware (I...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for New Jersey on
Q: What are one’s right if denied to enter the US at an airport?

1) Can one call a lawyer?

2) What can one do to avoid a 5-year bar?

3) Is it true that one can apply for asylum to prevent oneself from being deported?

Thank you!

Kyndra Mulder
Kyndra Mulder answered on Oct 2, 2020

Depends on your status when you request to be admitted. If you are requesting admission based on a non immigrant visa: A visa does not guarentee you will be admitted. A visa only grants you permission to request you be admitted. Secondly, admission into the USA is considered a privilege not a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and International Law on
Q: I need some advice urgently

It is regarding selling land overseas

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 29, 2020

Based on your brief post, one option is to reach out to real estate attorneys in the nation where the land is located. You could also consult with accountants/tax attorneys to discuss how proceeds of the sale would be handled under U.S. laws. Once you started to discuss the matter with the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Constitutional Law and International Law on
Q: In what situation can the Commission President ask one of his commissioners to resign?

Can it happen in a situation when the given Irish commissioner attended a social event against corona rules in Ireland and after that got a call from the Irish Prime Minister asking him to resign?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 23, 2020

It might be difficult to get an answer to this question here - this forum deals mainly with U.S. law. Someone familiar with Irish law and government practices would need to answer this. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Rights and International Law for Washington on
Q: What would I do if I believe this page is endangering my father's life

I believe this article to be neglegant endangerment. Who can I reach out to.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 16, 2020

A Washington attorney could answer best, but your question remains open for three weeks. You could reach out to the publisher and ask them to take the page down while expressing your concerns. If that doesn't work, you could reach out to an attorney for a consult to explore options. You could... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.