Williamsport, PA asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Pennsylvania

Q: If I accept part payment for the property damage/loss from insurance company for claim, could I still get attorney

I was in an accident but I'm not sure if I am going to go through with the insurance company. The claim is for my injury and also for my personal belongings. If I accepted the payment for my belongings, but didn't agree with the offer for my injury claim, would I still be able to get an attorney after having accepted partial payment?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Pennsylvania attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. In general nationwide, people do settle their property damage claims at the beginning of a case, while the bodily injury portion of the case can move forward at a slower pace, sometimes taking years.

But that can be when liability is not in dispute. And my response is only a generality. I do not know the specifics of your case. An attorney would likely want to see your file and additional details before giving you a meaningful and definitive answer to your question.

As a general note of caution, any attorney would urge you to read your release very carefully to make certain you are not agreeing to settlement of ALL claims resulting from your accident ("ALL," as in including bodily injury as well). Since you are contemplating retaining an attorney for your injury case, you could consider showing them the paperwork you were given for settlement of your property damage to ensure that you do not relinquish any of your rights to your injury claim. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.