Sacramento, CA asked in Consumer Law and Products Liability for California

Q: Daughter is a paraplegic & purchased a glide n go. She has been injured and burned. How to get help, $ back & return it?

The steel seat has fallen on her shoulder and head multiple times. It is not level, but sits at an angle more like a slide than horizontal. Seat has gotten so hot it has given her 3 degree burns on her buttocks she has been doctoring for 9 months. The support arm fell off and someone caught her before she hit the ground. Now the motor won’t raise her all the way up into her truck and won’t lower her all the way down to her wheelchair.

She asked the company for her money back so she can send everything back, but they keep saying let us try to fix it.

They send her a new arm. Offer a new remote. Send a thin material sample to cover her vinyl over steel seat.

But she really needs a lift seat that is safe. She works and has to be able to get to her office.

How can she get help? Or who should she call?

2 Lawyer Answers
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: she needs to call and consult with an attorney that does product liability/ personal injury.

Cameron Tousi
Cameron Tousi
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Washington, DC

A: It sounds like an awful situation and that your daughter is having to deal with this situation. It's unlikely counsel will want to take the case on contingency unless if the device has caused serious injury, because the damages even for what you've mentioned aren't sufficient. Court cases are very expensive in terms of resources and cost, and counsel would be doing this work essentially free of charge unless and until there is a settlement, which the manufacturer realizes. I'm surprised the company wouldn't wish to provide a refund, especially these days, given the vast impact of social media. (As always, this is not legal advice.)

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.