Lynnwood, WA asked in Immigration Law for Washington

Q: How can I restart my asylum clock while I’m in process of removal proceeding.

My asylum application has referred to an immigration judge due to failure to appear interview. However, my previous attorney didn’t notify me about this interview and he changed the address as his address. Thus, I didn’t receive any notifications from USCIS, which caused my case has been transferred to immigration court and my asylum clock stopped by 116 days. I’m wondering if I can request to restart my clock ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: There are a number of applicants whose attorneys never received notice for the asylum hearing. This is not necessarily the attorney’s fault.

The law requires that USCIS send notice. The USCIS claims that it is not responsible if notice is ever received. A lawsuit may have to be filed to order USCIS to restart the clock. Only USCIS can do so, where it had control and made the decision. The USCIS controls whether people can receive employment authorization.

As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney willing to file a writ of mandamus, where you are capable of supporting the litigation. There are likely multiple applicants who can make such a claim, so some attorneys may be in a better position to represent more than one client.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.