Roseville, CA asked in Family Law and Social Security for California

Q: Is there any benefits that my 17 year old special needs child will qualify for once she "graduates" from her school

She has epilepsy and is developmentally delayed due to brain abnormality. I get paid through In Home Support Services for her full time care. Since she will never be able to work as an adult, can she still get disability benefits?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Scott F Bocchio
Scott F Bocchio pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: It's worth calling into our SSDI department and speak with Adam Jeffery, Administrator 855-54-7841.

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: Your child may be eligible for Child SSI benefits now if your family meets income and resource limits. Even if your child isn't currently eligible for SSI due to too much income or resources, they may become eligible for SSI at age 18.

Also, the SSDI program pays benefits to adults who have a disability that began before they became 22-years-old. This SSDI benefit is considered a “child’s” disability benefit because it is paid on a parent’s SSDI record. To be entitled to this benefit, one of their parents must either be receiving Social Security retirement or disability benefits or have died and earned enough to qualify for SSDI.

General information about Child SSI and a child's benefit under SSDI can be found at

It would be a good idea to talk to an experienced disability attorney about your child's particular situation. Most disability attorneys offer a free initial consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.