Terra Alta, WV asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Maryland

Q: Hi I am from Louisiana but recently moved to Maryland I have questions.

I received full custody of my son in 2019 after his dad was arrested for choking him and other things, my son's dad went back to prison in September 2019 for attempted murder on police and has been in there since, sentenced to 14 years. His father has a long record of violent offenses and doing time in jail. My boyfriend has been raising my son and been in his life since not long before his dad went to jail. We are wanting to get married and he wants to adopt my son and give him his last name, will that be hard and do we have to have signature from his dad? I have spoken to his father he is fine with it, he's in prison and most likely not getting out soon and understands that my boyfriend has basically been his dad for the past 2 1/2 years. My boyfriend has never been in trouble and loves my son and we have a daughter together. What would we do to start this process?

1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Yes you will need his signature. believe it or not, you will have to consent to your boyfriend adopting your son too. There is a process to go though. A good lawyer can guide you through this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.