Tuscaloosa, AL asked in Consumer Law, Criminal Law, Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Alabama

Q: What are the options when you're involved in an accident with a driver whose license is suspended and uninsured?

Also, what happens if the vehicle does not belong to that driver?

1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter Garnett
Hunter Garnett
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: You have several possible claims against three possible defendants. Realistically, your recovery is likely limited by the amount of insurance that is available. I'll break down each of your possible claims, but you probably only care about the practical advice so I'll start there.

If you have bodily injuries, you may be able to make a claim for uninsured motorist coverage and/or medical payments coverage on YOUR automobile insurance. Open up your auto insurance app on your phone and look for a list of your coverages.

If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, then you can make a claim for any bodily injuries. Your claim can include compensatory damages: medical expenses, lost wages, pain & suffering, and mental anguish. Your claim can also include punitive damages. You will likely need a lawyer to maximize the value of your uninsured motorist claim.

If you have medical payments coverage, you can make a claim to be reimbursed for medical bills.

If you have collision coverage, you should file your property damage claim through your insurance.

Here are some of your possible claims against all defendants:

1) You can make negligence and wanton conduct claims against the at-fault driver. However, if the driver is uninsured then you likely will not be able to collect your damages against the driver.

2) You can make a claim for negligent entrustment against the owner of the vehicle. There are several elements to negligent entrustment. You would have to prove that the at-fault driver was incompetent to drive (this is usually proven through the admission of traffic violations, drug/alcohol history, or prior accidents), the owner of the vehicle knew or should have known that the driver was incompetent, and the owner of the vehicle allowed the driver to operate the vehicle.

3) Uninsured motorist claim against YOUR auto insurance.

This is a common scenario in Alabama. Alabama has one of the highest rates of uninsured drivers at 19.5%. So basically 1 in 5 Alabama drivers is uninsured. An experienced Alabama personal injury lawyer can help you through the process of filing an uninsured motorist claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.