Perrysburg, OH asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Elder Law and Probate for Michigan

Q: guardianship says I need permission to move aunt out of Michigan how do I petition court?

Aunt is in nursing home in Michigan, I need to move her to Ohio. I am next of kin and have guardianship. I told the judge I wanted guardianship specifically to move her to Ohio. He said I have 4 months to do so, but paperwork states I can not move her out of state. No one is giving me the information on how to legally move her, what forms?, how to petition?, how to file? how to ask court? How do I do this? she will be going from nursing home to nursing home.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You will likely need to file a petition and order in the court that granted you guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.