Knightdale, NC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: Can my ex-husband dictate who I date and have around my children?

My ex-husband and I officially divorced in January of 2022. We have two children, aged 10 and almost 5. He's gone from being a very cooperative co-parent to a unreasonable co-parent in a matter of 2 weeks. He is now trying to tell me that my children are not allowed at my house because I live with my boyfriend, who my ex does not like, and that my boyfriend can't attend dinner with me with the kids.

His entire argument is that my boyfriend is a danger to the kids because I called the cops during a fight once and had him arrested for "grabbing me by the hair," which mind you, did not hurt me. I since then dropped the case against my boyfriend, but my ex refuses to let it go. My boyfriend is getting also getting new treatment for his mental health and my ex says he is unstable.

Is he allowed to tell me who to spend my life with? Can he keep my kids away from me? What options and rights do I have?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Is there a custody order? Without a custody order explicitly barring either party from exposing the minor children to persons you are dating, there shouldn't be anything stopping you from dating who you want to date and acting in the manner you seem to do doing. That said, there does need to be some caution about you go about doing this - if you exposing the children to someone who isn't in their best interests, he could file a custody action and use your own behaviors against you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.