San Francisco, CA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for California

Q: I was arrested for having bear spray, which is legal for felons to posses due to it being labeled as a pesticide.

Because of the arrest, police in another city who were investigating an unknown person who pepper sprayed 3 people started looking at me as a suspect and eventually arrested me weeks later.

Here is my q:

Because I was falsely arrested and since the false arrest itself caused my name to appear in multiple places investigators could and did find it, along with the name / nature of the charge, is there grounds to suppress any evidence stemming from that arrest? What would you do if this happened to you? How would you handle it?


When I was arrested I invoked within 5 minutes of the beginning of questioning. I ended up bailing out of jail (150k bail) and was arrested on related charges that are part of the same case within 24 hours. IE: arrested 9pm day 1, got out 3am day 2 and arrested 8am day 3. On day 3 they tried to question me again and I talked some about 3 additional charges they had added to the case then booked me with 150k bail. Is this evidence admissible?

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: More info is needed.

Ask your atty/pD who will have a police report.

If you talked to police it abounds like you waived your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.