Ashburn, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: I’m a 17 year old with a junior license. I turn 18 soon and I got a speeding ticket.Will my junior license get take away

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Toshinori Isoai
Toshinori Isoai
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: In NY, your junior license holder will be suspended for 60 days if you commit a serious traffic violation. A serious traffic violation usually means a violation with 3 or more points. In NY, a speeding offense, if convicted, carries 3 points if your speed was 1-10mph over the speed limit. Yes, only 1mph over will take your license away.

You should consult with a local attorney and decide if you can possibly reduce it to something else (such as failure to obey a traffic signal with 2 points or even no point violation) when your case is pending in outside NYC or if you should fight all the way to trial, etc.

Anyone can speed up and go fast with no or little skills, but not everyone knows how to slow down and stop properly.

Good luck and stay safe.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.