Dorchester, MA asked in Personal Injury, Collections and Health Care Law for Virginia

Q: Should I take the lower settlement?

I was awarded for a car accident but I appealed because it was lower than what I'd asked. I have no attorney and no help to represent Myself. I am wondering if I can still take the judges award? Can I contact the defendants attorney and ask to settle? And if I do that does My health insurance get paid first? What about the first lawyer who refused to appeal with Me can he still come after My award?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Virginia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. It is somewhat difficult to address your questions without knowing more about the case - the forum, the terms of the award, the terms of your attorney retainer, whether your attorney asserted a lien, terms of health care liens (if any) asserted by insurance carrier(s), and other important details. These are good questions you raise, but it is difficult to answer them without seeing the documents in your case file. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.