Orlando, FL asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can my friend go against his dad to not have custody of him?

My Friend he is a minor. His dad kicked him out of the house and used to abuse him mentally. His dad has told him he would put a restraining/ no contact order on him and his brother so he couldnt be near either of them . The dad never gave up his custody so he is still under his wing. I thought your not allowed to kick minors out? Also, the father is trying to get my friend back to live with him because he has custody still my friend "has" to follow. He is going to get abused again . Can't my friend get ouf of his custody somehow? Would having proof of anything help him not go with his dad? Im telling my friend to go to court. Cause his father has done alot of wrong to him.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your "Friend" has very limited civil law rights to do anything to change the existing legal support order because your friend is still a minor.

However, if the circumstances at home are really as bad as they say, the Florida Department of Children & Families might be able to help. Here is their contact information.

Department of Children & Families

1317 Winewood Boulevard, Building 6, Room 222, Tallahassee · (800) 273-8255

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.