Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: Can a father file for custody, unmarried but on birth certificate, with agreed upon overnights, visitation, holidays?

Currently co habitating with the mother of my 3 children age 4 and twins- 2 y/o. Mother has demanded disolution of relationship of 6 years. Mother is unemployed and I've supported the family 100% for 6 years including her 16 y/o son. I wish to be custodial parent with 80+% overnights. No filings of parenteral custody agreement or support have been filed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to file a Petition for Paternity. The court will establish a timesharing plan (custody) that is in the best interests of the children. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.