Detroit, MI asked in Contracts, Family Law, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: Can I trespass someone from someone else's property with their permission?

For example, an uncle of mine owns a home near me in Michigan, but now lives in Kentucky. He allows his brother to stay in the house as long as he follows set rules. One of them is that he can't have his homeless friends hang over and stay the night. With him in Kentucky, it's hard to enforce the rules. Can he give me verbal/written approval to trespass the undesirables from his property?

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas. R. Morris
Thomas. R. Morris
  • Dexter, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your uncle could appoint you as his agent, giving you authority to act on his behalf. This does not necessarily need to be in writing, but under some circumstances, you might want to have it in writing. I don't know what it means to "trespass the undesirables from his property", so I don't know the circumstances. If you mean to ask them to leave and then involve the police if they don't leave, this sounds like a messy situation given that your uncle's brother (your father?) is also permitted to be in the house. I can envision the police declaring it to be a civil matter and leaving without taking action, but I have no idea of the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.