Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: My 12 year old was read his Miranda right and question with out permission and without parental supervision. Is it legal

My son got in a fight off school property the next day a police officer pulled him into the office right him his Miranda rights and started questioning him without parent knowledge parent supervision or parent permission and threaten him made him feel intimidated even though he was just defending himself walking home from school

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A juvenile can be questioned by the police without a parent being present. Whether that statement can be used, however, can be used as evidence in a subsequent legal proceeding depends on the totality of the questioning. Has a petition alleging delinquent conduct been filed? Talking with an attorney may help, Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.