Weatherford, TX asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Texas

Q: My daughter was in a fight with a young lady at school who started the fight my daughter beat the girl up they are now

Trying to charge her with assault the police that work at the school said we have ten days to bring her to the school to be fingerprinted or they will pick her up from the house. She was the ONLY one punished for the fight even after we’ve obtained evidence that the young lady started the whole thing. Text and videos from students stating the principal made them rewrite statements they wrote on my daughters behalf or they would arrest them for false statements and also went through their phones with the permission of their mothers didn’t find anything but still denied that they did. The officer even stated that he has caught the little girl in multiple lies but yet she is not being punished. Has anyone ever heard of them giving ten days to be fingerprinted or they will pick you up what should I do in this situation?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: First question: is your daughter under 17? At 16 years of age or under, juvenile law applies. At 17, she will be considered an adult for criminal law purposes (and the rules are different). Also, fingerprints are part of the book-in process which is generally not done at a school. In my experience when dealing with students, and officer will give time for a student to appear at a police station to turn himself/herself into custody or the child will be taken into custody at school by the school resource officer. Sitting down with a lawyer to discuss the situation more fully would help. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.