Candler, NC asked in Child Custody and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: Can I force my teenage son to take a paternity test for an alleged child?

My son wants to be involved , but wasn’t allowed to sign birth certificate and is at the mercy of the teenage moms schedule as to when he can see the baby. He is also only allowed to see the baby at her house when it’s convenient for her. My son is so afraid of upsetting the mother that he allows her to Manipulate him and see the baby only in her presence and when she has time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If he can't access the child, he won't be able to get a paternity test, without a court order. He could (through you as his "guardian") file for custody/visitation of the child, and then it would be up to the mother to prove that his is not the father. Once he has access to the child, he could get a paternity test done and/or he could ask for a paternity test when he files for custody/visitation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.