Detroit, MI asked in Contracts, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: What can i do if my former apartment forwards a false debt to a collection company?

My former apartment claimed that we did not give notice before moving out, and forwarded a $1700 debt to a collections agency, though we did give notice. Aside from the fact that we did give notice (we got the form from the management office), it says NOTHING about a charge for not giving notice in our lease agreement. It doesn't even say the tenant has to be the one to give the notice, it says either the tenant OR the landlord can give notice. So 1. Can they do that? 2. If not, how can i deal with it ?

1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Southfield, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I suggest you first send a certified letter, both to the apartment and to the debt collector. The letter should clearly deny the alleged debt and explain in detail why you don't owe the debt. Importantly, the letter should also request how they calculated the $1,700 and what clause in the lease permits them to charge this fee. Finally, the letter should also direct the debt collector to "cease and desist" and refrain from contacting you or attempting to collect this bogus debt.

If this account is on your credit report, you should also demand it be deleted. If the letter does not resolve this matter, you should contact a lawyer to consider your legal options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.