Dublin, OH asked in DUI / DWI and Car Accidents for Ohio

Q: Last evening my 19 year old son passed out while driving on interstate then when off the road striking 4 signs, a

Drainage cap and traveling 1700 feet. He was transported to hospital. Police searched his car which the found pain pills he was prescribed due to wisdom teeth out Tuesday and marijuana. He advised police he took pain pill at 11 that day and hadn’t smoke since last weekend. He consented to urine test. He was given a ticket for OVI. What should we do as has court date this Wednesday?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Brian Smith
Brian Smith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Rocky River, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: He should contact a local experienced OVI attorney.

At the first court date, your son will be given the opportunity to enter a plea. If he cannot afford an attorney, he can also ask the court to appoint one. To challenge the charges, a not-guilty plea would need to be entered.

OVIs are complicated charges and even more so when the driving was not observed, there are prescription medications, and the police use urine tests that show the presence of THC even if it was not used the day of the incident. An OVI attorney can help your son navigate this process and work toward the best possible result.

Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA

A: Agree with attorney Smith: He should retain a local experienced OVI attorney in hopes of achieving the best outcome. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.