Chicago, IL asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for North Carolina

Q: If someone received a mislabeled package that was intended for someone else in a different state, is it larceny?

Sold an item on eBay to a recipient in Ohio, but the item was mislabeled and sent to a previous customer (Facebook marketplace) in North Carolina. The NC person reached out to me over facebook messenger stating they have the package. They initially agreed to send it out to the correct person (Ohio). I paid them $20 and gave sent them a prepaid label over messenger. They went quiet for 2 days and when asked they had an excuse for not sending it the day they were supposed to. After that, they went quiet and didn’t respond to any messages for 2 weeks until I decided to send a certified letter. They claimed to have sent it out (didn’t provide receipt or tracking number) and that was the end of the conversation. The customer (Ohio) stated they never received a package of any sort.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If the name on the label was theirs, this is most likely not a crime. You mistakenly labeled the package. You could always try and file a police report, Depending upon the value of the item you may choose to sue the party in small claims court. The lawsuit would have to be filed in the county where the person resides. You would have to appear in person on the court date to present your evidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.