Rochester, MI asked in Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: Closed on a home. Seller asked for two days to remove items. They have moved out . They have not. Can we change locks?

They moved to Florida months ago and left some furniture behind. We closed gave them 2 days per the closing agreement and they are still dragging feet on removing the items. Can we take possession of the house and allow them to come and get their stuff later.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: It sounds like you should be able to take possession and change the locks, but to be sure you should take your documents to a real estate attorney for review. In situations like these I usually tell people they can put the items in storage and give the former homeowner notice that they can come get the items for 14 days to 30 days, or else if the items are not claimed they will be disposed of. Before you take action, get a consult with an attorney.

Kenneth V Zichi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.