Orlando, FL asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Florida

Q: I had the police come to my door today, they left a card saying they need to speak to me? What do I do?

I just move to the state and to my knowledge have done nothing wrong .

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If I were you, I'd ask what they would like to speak to you about. Maybe you were listed as a witness or potential witness to something, even if you know nothing about whatever they're looking into. But another scenario is that, for some reason, you are a crime suspect, such as where someone who committed a crime was using your identity (as just one example). If they want to ask you a series of questions without fully explaining the reason for questioning you, if I were you, I'd tell them you want to have an attorney present. They would then have to stop the questioning. Then call a criminal defense attorney in your area.

Terrence H Thorgaard agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.