Pasadena, CA asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Insurance Bad Faith for California

Q: Where do I report attempted break check insurance fraud caught on dashcam? Is there a civil matter here?

A driver cut in front of me and slammed on their brakes. My dashcam clearly shows no cars in front of me when this driver cuts and attempts to get me to hit their car. They then stop, and go trying to bait me and stop again with no cars in front of them where you can clearly see a green traffic light with no cars ahead. I was able to stop before both attempts and avoided the collision. This was very distressing especially because the person had a minor in the front seat which made it worse for me. After I pointed to my dash cam the driver erratically tried to get away breaking several traffic laws and blew threw a red light before I could call 911. Is there a place to report this type of attempted conduct, and would there be a civil matter here even though no damages occurred but the driver was attempting to create/cause damages?

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: i think the police and department of consumer affairs are your best bets.

you can always sue someone but likely, no lawyer will take it on a contingency, and your only other avenue is small claims......but what are YOUR damages?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.