Q: Rented my home in San Juan PR and the tenant never lived at the home .Lives in Phil. How do I file eviction notice?

Rented my home. Tenant hasn't paid March - May rent and does not live at the place. How do I file an eviction for someone who doesn't live at residence but lives in Philadelphia

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: I'm assuming that the eviction is being made by way of Public Law 86 of 2011 before a Court of Law in Puerto Rico. In that event, a dunning letter should be mailed to the lessee by certified mail to his/her last known address (if Philadelphia address is known, mail to said address). If no address is known for the morose lessee, then a request must be made to the Courts to procure authorization to serve the lawsuit by edict in a newspaper of widespread circulation in Puerto Rico, pursuant to Rule 4.6 of Puerto Rico Rules of Civil Procedures. I recommend that you retain the services of an attorney authorized to practice law in Puerto Rico, who'll know the steps to follow pursuant to Rule 4.6.

Since the rule of law protects the pacific possession of property, it is important for you to keep in mind that you must not change the locks nor throw out nor retain any of the lessor's property without a court order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.