Waxhaw, NC asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: I have a question about kids and visitation with ex husband.

I asked my ex-husband if he could watch our two kids on July 13 when I go out of town for work (a day trip). He told me no, that he would do nothing extra. He will only see them every other weekend and every other Thursday for dinner. I asked about his two weeks in the summer that is in the child custody papers. He said it was a suggestion and would not be taking them. I asked what the problem was. He said that he wanted the girls more than every other weekend. This confused me, as he won't take them extra time. I told him this. He said he wanted them extra time for the sole purpose of lowering his child support. That two weeks in the summer, and a day here or there won't lessen the amount he owes me.

He said since our child custody agreement is vague with respect to the summer, that he has no plans to take them.

Is there a legal way I can force him to spend time with his kids?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: No, there really isn't.

The court CAN'T make someone care more about their children, or want to have additional time with them. I suppose it is possible that you could rework your custody schedule so that he has 124 overnights per year (which would change his child support amount), but it doesn't seem like there are any good reasons to voluntarily take this step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.