Newark, NJ asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: I got a ticket for failure to yield I pleaded not guilty but my court date is many months from now

I just concluded a defensive driver course for insurance purposes

Do you think I should plead guilty and use my defensive driving course point waver to clear the point or continue to plead not guilty/get a lawyer to plead my case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Toshinori Isoai
Toshinori Isoai
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • New City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It depends on various factors including where the alleged offense happened, where your case will be heard, whether you have a valid "legally sufficient" defense, etc. Your moving violation can also be amended to a non-moving offense by way of plea negotiation in certain forums. You can change your plea to guilty anytime, so you may want to wait and see how things will go. Also, your defensive driving course may not help you if you haven't been convicted of the violation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.