Alvarado, TX asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Texas

Q: An Alaska lawyer "forgot" to mail me the $13K trust check from sale of my father's land. Can I file a complaint?

This was excess funds from his land being sold to pay back taxes. I had to hire the lawyer to set me up as executor. His fee came out of the excess funds and he was to then send me a check of the remaining. It had been two weeks since he said the check would be mailed. When I inquired, he said the check was never cut and blamed his book keeper. Is this something I should let the bar know about?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: That is possibly embezzlement or conversion by the lawyer entrusted with the sale proceeds. You should report him to the Alaska Bar. Check the internet for the regulatory agency, or call the

Governor's Office for assistance. That kind of stealing makes all real lawyers look bad.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.