Lady Lake, FL asked in Contracts, Criminal Law and Small Claims for Florida

Q: I signed POA to my boyfriends mother. Only to get my car out of impound. She now says the car is my ex and it’s hidden

My ex-boyfriend and I was both in jail. A friend of ours got my car impounded. My daughters grandmother offered to pay to get it out of impound. if I would sign the title over to her to give to my daughter. which was a nice suggestion if I wanted to sell it I still wanted my car. My ex-boyfriend had me signed POA to his mother. That way she would be able to get the car out of impound. Now my ex is saying she put the car in his name and I’m not getting it back. How can I get my car back I never signed the title to anyone?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It depends, of course, on the wording of the POA. If it gives her authority to convey title to someone else, you are probably out of luck. If, on the other hand, it merely gives her authority to pay the impound fees and take possession, you might be able to take it up with the DMV.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.