Orlando, FL asked in Business Law, Consumer Law and Contracts for Florida

Q: We have a air conditioning unit left on our property by a contractor, can we sell or give this away without repercussion

Contractor recommended this too big unit and could not get it to work correctly in our home. We received a refund of all monies paid however the contractor has not picked up the unit since returning our money 3 months ago. Can we legally sell this or give it away? Technically we do not own this (refund of money) even thou this is on our property? We have requested verbally thru voice messages and via text messages they come for the unit on numerous occasions.

1 Lawyer Answer
James W. Martin
James W. Martin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Pinellas County, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Florida Statutes Chapter 713 governs construction liens in Florida and allows contractors to obtain liens on real property and also allows materialmen to obtain liens on real property so it is possible that the contractor or its supplier could obtain a lien on the real property. Therefore, the owner of the real property should engage a lawyer to assist in returning to the rightful owner the material that was provided and left on the real property. The rightful owner might be the contractor or it might be the contractor's supplier or perhaps even someone else.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.