Redmond, WA asked in Divorce for Nevada

Q: My husband had an affair. We've been back and forth on getting a divorce or trying to work it out.

If we do get divorced, he wants to file online for it's cheaper, faster, and easier. But I would have to agree to all his terms he has set out. He wants to keep our house so our kids can stay with him most of the time while I find a 2 bd apartment but claims we share 50/50 custody. He also agreed to take all the the combined debt we have. Should I refuse his offer and take it to court and split everything 50/50? Should I just give in to his demands for the sake of not arguing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Based on your description of your husband's request, It appears that your husband is looking to get Primary Physical custody of the children in exchange for taking all the marital debt.

I cannot counsel you on what is best for you and your family, but can tell you that the court's in Nevada have a preference for Joint Custody as they believe it is in the children's best interest.

Janice Jacovino agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.