Asked in Civil Rights, Contracts and Military Law for California

Q: I am a 56 yr African American veteran ( first Gulf War ). I was denied my right to file a formal complaint by the SF VA

One of the services I am eligible for is the VA RideShare Program. Staff at the Medical Center arrange transportation for veterans ( Dr. appts and other necessary trips ). I discovered soon after using the service, that the cost of many of the trips had been debited from my personal bank account. Once notified, the VA then suggested that I had done something to incur the charges but they could not specify what exactly I had done. They only spoke with me via a third party. I did not have contact information for them at the time. I had no choice but to file a formal complaint. When I approached the hospital's Patient Experience Tem ( advocates ) whose job it is to address patient's conflicts/problems within the hospital. They refused my right to file a complaint. They did arrange reimbursement, which I denied. My complaint was to force the rideshare program talk with me about what I'd done; until I had that information, I could not use the car service for fear of continued

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you need a lawyer who specializes in Veterans Benefits, not just a personal injury lawyer. Google that if you don't get an answer on this site.

A PI is more like car accidents and slip and falls.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.