Asked in Education Law for Washington

Q: I live in Washington state can a school district force a parent to put them in a residential school out of state?

My son is 12 year old with disabilities. We live in Washington state. The district sent my son to residential school in New York I was concerned with his safety. The district here in Washington state agreed for him to come home and finish school here. The day he got back to Washington everything changed they did not even give him a chance and refused him any schooling for over two months until the year was over. They demanded a new evaluation. The evaluation had a lot of incorrect fax in at the doctor even admitted. But they are still trying to hold up that IEE That recommends residential school or half day placement in a school district. The district here in Washington state now is trying to force me to send my son back to New York to residential school. Can a District Force a parent to place their child in a residential school? My son is doing amazing since returning from residential school my son starved himself had cuts and bruises on him they Administered wrong medication .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ryan Ford
Ryan Ford
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: This is a complex question that requires additional information. There are circumstances where a school district can force a placement but the parent then has the option of filing for due process or revoking special education services. Depending on the circumstances, I'm often able to negotiate these matters to a favorable outcome for my client. If you would like to schedule a consultation with my office, please contact my office at or (425) 908-7692.

- Ryan

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.