Sebring, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Can my 12 year old daughter decide to live with me the mother rather than her grandmother the father's mother?

We went to court and he got primary custody because it was in the middle of school year he now left to work out of state and left her with his mother to live .his wife did not want for her to stay in their home. My daughter does not want to be with grandmother and the school year is about to start there is hardly any time to go back to court . He is being selfish and not thinking about her because she feels abandoned by him and then he won't let her come with me. We live in separate counties. His sister said she is willing to go to court and testify that he left her since the beginning of last school year. She says she needs her mom. What can I do. Can I just keep her with me. Would I get into trouble for enrolling her in school in my county. We live in florida.she also asked him to stay he said he could not because his lawyer said no. To my understanding if we both agree that we can do it. He also bribes her by buying her things to try to keep her happy.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pamela J. Fero
Pamela J. Fero
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You can file a petition for modification as long as you prove it's for the child's best interest to live with you. Act the soonest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.