Columbus, OH asked in Car Accidents, Bankruptcy and Collections for Ohio

Q: I live in ohio. I was unaware my insurance lapsed. I let my son use my car. He had an wreck. Other car was totaled

The insurance company is suing me and my 18 year old son for almost 30 thousand. I own a car and a double wide mobile home on a rented lot. We do not have money like that, none in savings. I also have 2 other children who live here. The insurance company said they will get their money by all means nessicary and will take my lisence till its paid if the state allows. Can they take my home and car? Can they garnish my husband and sons wages?

What can they do to us? We are not wealthy people and can not afford to pay that neither can my son. Any advice?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Ohio attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry about the accident. I hope your son and everyone else are okay. It sounds like you are being pursued by the carrier's subrogation department. At this point, you could consider reaching out to attorneys in the field of collection defense and bankruptcy. For the issues you outline, those attorneys have strong insight into homestead, garnishment, and related issues. Many car accident attorneys often do not pursue beyond policy limits, and many of them do not often get involved in those aspects of recovery. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.