Salem, OR asked in Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: What can I do if I hit a settlement but I didn’t want a settlement I asked my attorney I want trial

I took my rental manager to court after giving me 6 eviction and not fixing a leak and mold grew then the floor needed to be replaced I gave my attorney all fotos with evidence but he only presented one of a wall with mold nothing els I should of gotten 3 times my rents work but only got 12000 i asked to take it to trial many times but the attorney ignored me I felt forced to take the settlement I was ignored and the attorney did not present any of the evidence I gave him can I reopen the case

1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you didn't agree or want the settlement, you should have declined it, even firing your attorney if you believe it warranted. But now that you accepted it, you live with it. Own your actions - and regardless, the court is likely to require you to do exactly that.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.