Hemet, CA asked in Civil Rights and Wrongful Death for California

Q: How can I find out which officers to name in my lawsuit if the investigation is ongoing and involves 4 police departmen?

I am trying to sue the 4 police departments who are responsible for the death of my registered domestic partner. The investigation is still ongoing, 9 months later, and even the cause of death still saying pending on his death certificate. But I am on a time limit for filing these lawsuits so I need to know which officers to name in them but they won't tell me anything about the case because they are still investigating it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Karas
John Karas
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Temecula, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You are under strict time limits to file a lawsuit for wrongful death, loss of consortium, etc. You are required to give formal, written notice of a claim within 6 MONTHS from the date of the occurrence when it involves a public/government entity. There are certain exceptions for late filing of such a requirement.

The names of the individual officers are irrelevant for now. Submission of the claims against the police agencies (employers of the police officer) is the key and knowing which entity accepts service of the claim. For example, if 1 of the police departments is the City of Hemet, it has to be filed with City Clerk. Other law enforcement agencies such as the Sheriff's department have to be filed with the clerk for the County Bd. of Supervisors.

I suggest you contact a skilled and experienced Civil Rights attorney/lawfirm who handle police misconduct/excessive force cases IMMEDIATELY to determine if a late claim can still be filed. There are only a handful of us who are willing to handle such cases so call for a free initial consultation.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.