Sun City, AZ asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Arizona

Q: How do I claim my grandma's house without a will?

It's a complicated story. I've lived with my grandma since I was 10 days old, she claimed guardianship of me because her daughter was deemed unfit. My grandma passed in 12/2019 and I've still stayed here as I have nowhere else to go. I don't have friends and most of the family is spread out and keep to themselves. I've paid the taxes, bills and maintained the house since her passing and a while before that. I tried going to probate but that got shot down as me and my grandma's youngest son don't get along. Needed his signature, he wouldn't sign, shredded the paper. Lawyer at the time said without his signature theres nothing I can do. That was 3 years ago and now I'm trying to seek answers again. There's a lot more to the story but this is the shortest I could make it, I apologize.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire a competent AZ lawyer to determine Heirship. If you are an Heir, then record an Affidavit of Heirship and file suit for Partition against the other owners.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.