Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas

Q: I was convicted of a non violent felony possession charge in Texas in 2017. How can i get my gun rights back?

I was not driving and it was not my vehicle. When the officer asked the driver to step out of the vehicle the substance fell onto the road from the driver side floorboard. We were both charged even though I told the officer it was not mine and no paraphernalia or any other incriminating evidence was found on me or on the passenger side if the vehicle.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Nicolas LeGrande
Tristan Nicolas LeGrande
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: With a felony conviction, you won't be "getting your gun rights back," unless the conviction is pardoned by the governor. It is highly unusual and difficult to obtain a pardon.

In Texas, a felon can legally have a firearm where they live (and nowhere else) 5 yrs after release from probation, parole, or prison. If you are caught anywhere else with the firearm it is a third degree felony charge. It remains illegal under Federal law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.