Winter Haven, FL asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: How to approach a divorce with wife when she has walked out on me and our kids won't hardly even speak to children

Has taken most of belongs from home. Has vehicle at know drug house and tag in my name. And says car has been towed. Lied to issue a temporary injunction on me. Is clearly on drugs. And a lot more that has happened

1 Lawyer Answer
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
Pamela J. Fero Esq.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Can you locate your wife or not?

You can file for divorce by publication if you have exhausted all efforts to locate your wife. You must prove that you made genuine efforts to locate your wife but turned to be fruitless. Prepare a dissolution of marriage notice for publication and get it approved by the court. Once approved, it must be published once a week for four weeks in a publication specializing in classified legal advertisements. If your wife does not respond within 28 days, you must file a notice of default with the court, allowing the divorce to proceed. Be aware that when a divorce is granted in this manner, the court will not rule on other related issues such as property division, child support, and child custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.