Los Angeles, CA asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Small Claims for California

Q: Can I sue somebody for this?

I hired somebody to build the back part of my semi truck. The price agreed was $38,000. Throughout the past months I have sent him 30,000 for material & labor. The work was supposed to be completed 2 months ago. I learned that he has not bought material or started any work on it at all and that he has spent all the money & is not able to complete the work. Can I sue him? Or what can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Los Altos, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sure, you can sue. Most attorneys are likely to want a similar amount of money, or at least five figures I'd guess, to get this started for you, and hope in the end to be able to get some money from the 'bad guy' towards atty fees, but, there are no guarantees. The BAR has initial jurisdiction on such matters. You may want to start there...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.